Yield: 8 Servings
Ingredients: (* indicates the ingredient is available at the Doylestown Food Co-op)
- * 5 cups cubed french bread - ½ inch cubes (Try Le Bus)
- * 1 cup whole milk ( Try trickling Spring or Merrymeade Farm)
- * ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- * 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- * ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- * 2 large eggs
- * ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- * 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- * 6 tablespoons half and half divided
- * teaspoon vanilla extract
- * ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- * butter to grease pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 8 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Combine whole milk and the next 6 ingredients through the eggs, mixing thoroughly.
- Stir the bread cubes into the egg mixture and let stand for 20 minutes
- To prepare the sauce, combine the brown sugar, 3 tablespoons Bourbon and butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat bringing mixture to a boil.
- Simmer 2 minutes stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in 5 tablespoons half and half and simmer until reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 10 minutes,
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 tablespoon half and half, 1 teaspoon vanilla and ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Spoon half of the bread mixture into a greased 9 by 5 loaf pan. Gently pour about 3 tablespoons of sauce over the bread mixture.
- Add the remaining bread mixture to the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, adding caramel sauce to each serving.
Do you like this post?