Yield: 20 Bars
An asterisk * indicates the ingredient is available at the Doylestown Food Co-op
- * 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- * 2 cups dried, chopped pitted dates
- * 6 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- * ⅔ cup wheat germ
- * 1 cup sliced almonds
- * ½ teaspoon salt
- * ½ cup almond
- * ½ cup olive oil
- * ½ cup honey (try Peace Fuel Nutbutterrition, Buckingham Valley Honey, or The Honeybee Shoppe)
- * 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- * ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9 by 13 pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper, laying one piece each direction so that they cross cover the pan in all directions including the sides.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and the orange zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture onto the parchment and press firmly into the pan with your hand or the back of a greased spoon.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting. The bars may be removed by lifting the parchment paper and placing on a cooling rack.
- Cut the bars into squares with a sharp knife.
1. The bars will be soft but should hold together.
2. If bars are difficult to cut, place them in the refrigerator to chill slightly.