Jim’s Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies
Yield: 24-30 cookies
- Do not over bake. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookies should be very light in color.
- If you don’t use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
2 sticks (1/2 pound) Unsalted Butter, softened but still firm
3/4 cup LIGHT Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
11/2 cups Castle Valley Soft Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
3 cups Rolled Oats
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
11/2 cups Raisins (optional)
11/2 cups Walnuts (optional)
1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
3. By hand or by electric mixer, beat Butter until creamy; Blend in Vanilla
4. Add Sugars; beat until fluffy -- about 3 minutes.
5. Beat Eggs in, one at a time.
6. Mix Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, Cinnamon and Nutmeg together. Stir them into the mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula.
- Stir in Oats Raisins and Walnuts.
- Form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of
the two parchment paper-covered large cookie sheets.
9. Bake until cookies edges turn golden brown -- 22 to 25 minutes.
Halfway through the baking, turn the cookie sheets from front to back and switch them from low and middle racks.
10. Slide cookies on the parchment onto a cooling rack.
11. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.