Pepper hash, a traditional accompaniment to hot dogs in the City of Brotherly Love, is a sweet, vinegary slaw.
- 1 package Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog™
- 1 package hot dog buns, toasted
- Spicy brown mustard
- Pepper Hash (see recipe below)
- ½ medium green cabbage (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Grill hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Arrange hot dogs in toasted buns and top with spicy mustard and a generous helping of pepper hash.
A nice change from creamy coleslaw, this vinegary hash tastes great with barbecued chicken, ribs, hamburgers, grilled steak…in other words, it’s a perfect addition to any summertime cookout. The recipe can be easily doubled to feed a crowd.
Makes about 6 cups
- Finely shred the cabbage, bell peppers, and carrot by hand or in a food processor.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan and cook, stirring, over low heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the vegetables and toss well to coat.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least four hours (or overnight) for flavors to develop.